Monday, July 28, 2008

I knew I shoulda taken that left turn at Albuquerque.

"I knew I shoulda taken that left turn at Albuquerque." – Bugs Bunny.

Day 10: Mesa Verde National Park, CO to Littlefield, TX. Trip Total 3,530 miles.

The tent is packed away for the last time, my brother moisturizes, and we start the long haul back to Texas. The initial plan is to cut down to Albuquerque NM, then try and get as far as Lubbock, TX before nightfall, so the final day won’t be too long. Although shortly after leaving the park, my brother gets excited when he sees a Wal-Mart, and has to stop to buy more $6 t-shirts that apparently cost many times that back in England. Due to the sheer excitement, he then manages to drive 30 miles past the right turn we need to take for Albuquerque before we realize we’ve missed it completely. So instead of lunch in Albuquerque, we end up at a Subway (yet again) in Santa Fe. Fortunately, this subway serves Pizza, and they are actually quite good.

From there we head east towards Clovis, past the grave of Billy the Kid, and the land flattens and is dominated by trains and grain elevators for many miles. More of the same as we enter Texas, and we get to Best Western in a town called Littlefield before dark – possibly the nicest Best Western I’ve ever stayed in. Katie is thrilled, because she gets her bath, and there is a pool for the morning.

I ask for a good place to eat at the front desk (I’m asked what kind of food, my response is “anything but Subway”), and we are directed to a little Mexican Cantina. My brother is happy, because he likes his margaritas and doesn’t get them in the UK, until we try to order and find out they don’t sell alcohol…

Back to the motel, my brother moisturizes again, and we call it a day.

No comments: